Friday, March 27, 2009

Injury Stricken


Hi everyone!

It's been almost 3 weeks since I've written and there are a few new developments in my training. Things have not been going as planned for a while now. Several days after the 16 mile run I last wrote about, my left inner ankle and Achilles tendon area still hurt. This wasn't normal for me-- usually I feel better a day or two after a long run. A bit too eager to keep up my running, I tried again after a few days, but it was painful. Still, hopeful, and not listening to my body like I should have, I tried again the next day and it still hurt. I knew this wasn't a good sign. I've had this kind of pain before from increasing my mileage too fast and I knew that this chronic pain had again flared up.

Fortunately, I left for a week in Montana with my family and my boyfriend, Rob, and I hadn't been planning on running heavily anyway that week. We traveled to the northwestern part of the state, near Big Mountain/Whitefish and Glacier National Park--a vast, beautiful, and sparsely populated area, perfect for lots of snow related cross training. I spent the week skiing, snowshoeing, and pool running, hoping to prevent losing the fitness I'd built up. Snowshoeing was really fun (but cold) and at one point, in Glacier, we practically ended up in a grizzly bear den. They were deep in hibernation, but still, seeing a sign that read " Grizzlies have been known to attack humans for no apparent reason," was a little disheartening!

We returned to Boston, and the next day, the weather was fantastic, and I couldn't resist going for a run. I felt fine during the very slow run and afterwards, but the next day my ankle was swollen and hurting again. It was definitely time to see a physical therapist. A few days later, when the physical therapist looked at my feet and had me do a few exercises, she determined pretty quickly that I didn't actually have achilles tendonitis, like I thought all along, but my posterior tibialis muscle was being overworked due to the way I run. It was so great to finally know what was wrong with me! For the past 4 years, I've had this problem once or twice a year when I've increased my mileage a bit too fast or over-trained, but I always thought it was my achilles that was bugging me. It feels so good to at least have that cleared up and to know what's wrong. Now to treat it correctly so I can make it to (and through) the marathon!



No comments:

Post a Comment