Monday, January 26, 2009

Running for Hospitality

Hello!

Welcome to my training blog for the 2009 Boston Marathon. I will be running in support of Hospitality Homes on April 20, 2009 and I am very excited. Ever since I first began school at Boston College over 6 years ago, I’ve enjoyed running and it has become an important part of my life. I have worked as the Program Manager at Hospitality Homes for two and a half years. I feel lucky to have the chance to use my passion for running to do all that I can to raise important funds for Hospitality Homes.

Throughout my time here I have spoken with hundreds of patients, family members and friends who struggle to find affordable lodging when they travel to Boston for some of the best medical care in the country. Just a few weeks ago, I spoke with a guest from Maine who I learned had attempted to sleep in her car on a bitter, cold winter night because she could no longer afford the cost of a hotel. She needed to stay with her husband as he received treatment and an important second-opinion. No one should ever have to sleep in their car, a hospital waiting room, or on the floor when they travel to support a loved one who is struggling to battle cancer and other chronic illnesses.

In 2008 we were fortunate to secure a bib number for our first Boston Marathon runner ever. Kristina Duke took on the challenge of raising money for Hospitality Homes and raised over $8,000 for our organization. After qualifying in the New York Marathon in November 2008, I am thrilled to be able to run Boston and continue the tradition Kristina started at Hospitality. I am setting out to raise $10,000 for Hospitality Homes.

Please check back frequently for updates and always feel free to offer me suggestions!!


1 comment: